Monday, March 19, 2012

How many types of fruit can you identify?



The cuy is the meat in the upper left of the left plate...what is cuy? Answer in a comment.

This past weekend I enjoyed a very laid back weekend consisting of going to the beach and visiting my host family's relatives! Since I had learned my lesson from the previous weekend at the beach, I made sure to put on sunscreen and surprisingly enough I only ended up with a slight burn on my back after two days at the beach!

Saturday was the first time in about 5 years that I had really been to a nice sandy beach and gone skipping into the ocean, I have to say I missed it a lot! Splashing in the waves and getting the taste of salt water in my mouth sealed the deal to a great day at the beach, not to mention I was with a bunch of friends!

On Sunday I joined my host family as they ventured up north to visit part of the extended family. Before seeing the family, however, we hit the beach for about an hour to soak up some sun and enjoy the relaxing sound of the waves crashing onto the shore. After a short time at the beach we went to the house to see all the family and I was warmly welcomed with kisses all around and a nice hardy snack of choclo (big corn on the cob) and freshly squeezed orange juice! When we finished our snack we headed off to pick up our lunch which consisted of lamb, cuy, ceviche, rice, and an assortment of other foods. Sunday was my first time trying cuy...Who knows what cuy is? If you know comment below with the answer.

To finish off the adventures with the family I got to accompany my host parents to a market where we bought a copious amount of fruits and vegetables. I have to say the market was definitely my favorite part because we were warmly welcomed by mountains of fresh fruits and taste tests all around! Not only was there tons of fruit, which all tasted fantastic, but it was also as cheap as can be! I don't know if I will ever be able to bring myself to purchase fruit from a super market ever again in the United States. Above you will see a picture of just a small part of the market...Who can guess all the types of fruits? Comment below with all the ones you know, I am still trying to try them all!

As the weekend came to a close I packed my bags for school, got some sleep, and started the week off rested and ready for a full week of classes!

2 comments:

  1. Fink! That is a lot of fruit! Sounds like your having a lot of fun! All your friends on the Palouse are awaiting SPRING/SUMMER weather! P.S we miss you ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SPRING/SUMMER will come soon enough! I have to say I miss the snow a little bit...I miss my Pullman friends much more than the snow though! Ya it was tons of fruit! Next time leave your name in your post...I don't know who "unknown" is. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete