Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Hot and Happy

Midday Sun

Lucy's delicious soup!

My schedule at the university

Wow time just seems to fly by here in Peru. Today was another hot day in Lima, Peru with clear skies and temperatures maxing out around 84 degrees. While I am enjoying the hot weather of Peru, however, all my friends back at Washington State University are enjoying what looks to be a snowy winter day. Furthermore my friends and family in Alaska are enjoying frigid temperatures in the teens. Either way I am soaking up the sun and enjoying life!

Even though it was a scorcher today I was more than content to eat piping hot soup made by the fabulous Lucy. For those of you that don't know, Lucy is the wonderful lady at my host family's house that cooks meals fit for a king and takes great care of me! While I would normally stray away from hot soups on a day with temperatures in the 80's, Lucy can pretty easily change my mind by sitting me down, putting food in front of me, turning on some tunes, and leaving me to drift off as I enjoy the rich flavors of her delectable cooking. Just to add a bit of a spoiler, I am actually planning some cooking tutorials where I can learn some of Lucy's magic and then share it with you all.

Finally I figured I should share a bit about my classes. I am taking 5 classes in total: 3 classes in Spanish and 2 in English. I am taking Intermediate Spanish, International Business in Spanish, and Culture and Popular Art in Spanish. On the English side I am taking General Administration and Political Science. All in all classes are going pretty great although it is a bit difficult when all the examples for business and politics are based on Peru so I definitely need to start reading the newspapers here! Although I wouldn't say my Spanish skills are amazing, they have definitely been progressing a lot to the point where I actually feel like I am understanding the majority of the things that I hear. That does not mean I can respond in a spoken or written response but I am definitely getting there.

I know everyone back in the states just got done with Spring Break so I would love to hear what people were up to. What did you do for Spring Break? Did you travel anywhere and eat any exotic or amazing foods?

No comments:

Post a Comment