Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Jamaica Day 3

Hanbury Home for Children

Orlando the camera man

Katie and a little boy

Happy Guy

Michael Playing Soccer

Amber and a little one

Michael with his new Yo-Yo

Me teaching O'Shane how to make the Jamaican Flag

Little ones eating ICE CREAM

Danielle playing games with ice cream!

Peak a boo with Matt

Wazzup

"You need more lady friends!"

Our third day in Jamaica was again full of exciting and memorable moments. My morning started out at 7:30 when I woke to go on a morning run with other members of our group. While I fully intended to run, I missed the group by about 1 minute so I was unable to go on the group run. Although the area we are staying is safe, it is best to be with a group when running so I decided not to sprint down the road to try to find the group. Instead I relaxed on the rope swing for a little bit and then did devotionals with some members from our group. We proceeded to have breakfast and load up to go do our service projects for the day. Since there was some work that needed to be done at the camp we are staying at we split up our group so we could tackle projects at both the camp and the orphanage. Since I have become our unofficial photographer I went to the orphanage so I could keep up on photographing the children with the members from our group.


At the Hanbury Home I was working in Babyland painting the inside and outside of the building. Right after we got to work for the day there were a number of kids who sacrificed their break time to come help us paint, while they painted in some of the wrong areas, it was great to see their desire to work with us and contribute to the projects we were doing. After a few hours of painting we had lunch, finished up our base layers of paint, and then got ready for the older kids to come home from school.


Yesterday I was taught some yo-yo tricks, by our Yo-Yo Guru, so I was in charge of helping the kids learn how to use the yo-yos that we gave them. It was really exciting for me because I was able to work with an older boy name O’Shane who had been eyeing us the whole trip but hadn’t talked to us very much. After about 20 minutes with him we were progressing and having a grand old time. Within the hour or so we were working together O’Shane was able to do a variety of tricks and he promised me he would help teach other boys and show me how they were progressing when we go back to the camp on Friday.

Along with fun times yo-yoing there was a group of high school students who came to lead some games with the kids and feed them ice cream. Since I love ice cream myself I was naturally drawn to this ordeal and ended up taking a number of precious pictures of the little kids eating their treats.


After playing with the kids for a few hours we loaded up in our buses, headed to the store to grab some snacks and then headed back to the Moorlands Camp for the night. As a whole today was really inspiring because we were able to work more closely with the kids and build stronger relationships with them. Tomorrow we have a free day where we will be going to the beach and getting bronzed…or so we think!

No comments:

Post a Comment