Sunday, August 1, 2010

Washington DC Internship



(These two photos are taken via Jerry Holy's camera by some hot rando.)

The past two months I have been in Washington DC as an intern for Special Olympics Project UNIFY. What you may ask is Special Olympics Project UNIFY...well this Special Olympics program is based off of the ideals of Educating, Motivating, and Activating young people through Special Olympics. Whether it be changing perspectives about people with intellectual disabilities or providing leadership positions for young adults, Project UNIFY gets youth and adults working together with the goal of creating an accepting relationship between "all" people.

This summer I was blessed to be a part of a 9 person internship team that was based out of Washington DC. This group of 9 became my family away from home and they all helped me to further establish who I am as a young man. I wanted to give a shout out to the whole Special Olympics Project UNIFY family of interns: Danielle, Laura, Brianna, Jerry, Brad, Jenny, Samantha, and Joan. The last two months have been full of learning experiences that have helped me to better define what I want to do in my future in work and in play.

Besides the great group of interns, there was an amazing staff that helped to provide a professional but fun working atmosphere at the office. Whether it was Madam Jo Jo, Oscar, or Andrea, the three main support staff, or the numerous others that helped make our stay in DC a good experience, everyday was full of positive learning experiences!

I look forward to working with and hearing about all the work that this group of individuals will continue to do in the future. In the meantime...I wanted to spend the next few days recounting the fun that I have had, so for the next week or so I am going to do my best to blog about the hustle and bustle that went on this summer during my internship.

As a closure for this blog I am including two pictures of the interns that will help illustrate what a beautiful group of people I have been working with!

1 comment:

  1. Finkster....

    Great idea for a blog! I know I been doing same slowly but its the best idea to recount the fond memories of the past two months! Looking forward to those blog entries! :)

    ReplyDelete