Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Spread the Word to End the Word


Over the last four years I have been actively working with the Special Olympics organization. My first interactions with this nonprofit were through the school program Partners Club, which is a club where students with and without intellectual disabilities can come together for sports training and competition. Through my years in high school I started as the vice president of this club and I have been the president for the three years since. Through all the different sporting events and other activities we have done through the club I have been inspired to become an advocate for people with intellectual disabilities. As an advocate for these individuals and the Special Olympics movement, I have been able to travel throughout the US as a part of a National Youth Activation Committee. One of the things that I have been able to promote is a campaign to "End the R-Word." This R-Word that I speak of is the word "retard" or "retarded." While many people use these words as the butt to a joke, they may not realize the effects that their choice of words has on people with intellectual disabilities. The reality is that these individuals do not choose to be born "different" than everyone else, so why would anyone think of discriminating against people who have been born with such a birth defect? For this reason of people using such hateful language, I have taken the initiative to "Spread the Word to End the Word," and promote the acceptance of all different peoples. The pictures above are of a pledge banner that was made at my school to show the pledges that people made to stop using this word and "change the conversation." I urge each and every person that may read this to think before you speak and join me in changing the R-Word to RESPECT!

No comments:

Post a Comment