Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A Different Perspective on DC




Since this blog is a photo blog I wanted to capture Washington DC in a more abnormal view than the typical depictions that one sees online. Above are two photos taken on the Mall in DC. Because you the reader may have never been to DC I should explain that the Mall is not the normal sort of shopping center you are thinking of, rather it is a large, elongated, rectangular set of pathways that contain a variety of monuments and memorials that encompass American history. Of the two images displayed, the first is of the Washington Monument. To be honest this picture was sort of a double take because I had already moved on to the next stop on my list when I realized that the Monument was being framed by a tree. Luckily I had my camera and I snapped a shot of the Monument being propped up by this expansive tree. The next photo is one that is one of the World War II memorial. While this memorial isn't one that brings joy to one's heart, this image can be used to show the light that can be found in times of darkness. By looking up through one of the sections of the memorial I noticed that the sun and clouds could be seen through three sections of the building, and the light showed a shadow on the brick wall. This picture reminds me of the common saying "there's a light at the end of the tunnel" and it shows that there can be joy in a time of desperation. While both these images show common tourist attractions, they also show a new composition of what is the normal view of these places.

No comments:

Post a Comment