Thursday, May 17, 2012

Natural Beauty of the Amazon Jungle


There is something majestic about being in the jungle that is hard to explain in words, whether it is the sounds of the birds, the natural beauty of the plants and flowers, or the smell after a torrential downpour, all these things just add to the sheer beauty of the jungle. Being my first time in the jungle I did not really have an idea of what to expect, but after 5 days soaking up the views of the jungle I can definitely admit that it is one of the most peaceful and relaxing places I have ever been in my entire life. Since I was only in the jungle for 5 days I decided to wake up every morning in order to listen to the animals as they woke up and watch as the jungle came to life. Above everything else I think witnessing the view and sound of the jungle waking up every morning as the sun came up was one of the most rewarding things to see every day! 

While seeing creatures of the jungle in their natural habitat is preferable, being a part of a group of 40 Americans can make it a bit hard to come in contact with many of the animals of the Amazon. That being said, we were able to go to an amazing animal orphanage and butterfly house called: Pilpintuwasi Butterfly Farm where there were many species of butterflies and a variety of orphaned animals from the surrounding area. Since it had rained early that day there wasn't as much activity in the butterfly exhibit but nevertheless I did manage to get some beautiful pictures of the butterflies! Along with the butterflies there were a number of monkeys, an anteater, and a jaguar. Since the shelter has so many different types of animals they have a number of volunteers that help keep things running smoothly, one eager volunteer for example is pictured below...he ofter partakes in monkey business when interacting with those needing the bathroom. 


Along with going to the animal shelter and butterfly house we were also able to try our luck at fishing for the local piranhas. Since the jungle has had severe floods this season the fishing was not very good in the river so for this reason we actually went to a pirana park where we were able to try our luck at fishing in a little lagoon, which was located a few minute walk into the jungle. While the lagoon was supposed to be a bit easier to fish, only one person from our group was able to hook a piranha. Although we didn't catch as many fish as hoped we did get some quality experience between baiting our own hooks, walking around with a handful of meat, and using the traditional stick and string as a fishing rod. Before we left the piranha park I did make sure Luis, the guy who caught the fish, gave a big kiss to his new fishy friend. Growing up in Alaska I would always kiss the fish I caught so I figured having someone else continue the tradition was a good idea. 

To top off the trip and we were able to go to a manatee rescue site in Iquitos where we were all able to feed the manatees and learn a little about the operation that was being run to take care of the rescued manatees. While feeding the manatees I really enjoyed the feel inside of their mouths because they didn't really have any teeth, it was more of just a slimy mouth hungry to suck down all the fruit and milk in site! 

While my time in the jungle had to end at some point I was very happy to not only have the experience to remember but also some amazing photos, videos, and stories to help me remember the trip for years to come. I hope you enjoy the photos as much as I do! 

No comments:

Post a Comment