Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Skiing and Snowboarding with Partners Club


Growing up in Alaska there are many beautiful sites to see and things to do throughout the year. One of these exciting winter activities is downhill skiing and snowboarding. I am lucky enough to have the opportunity to coach these two sports through the Partners Club, which is a club where students with and without intellectual disabilities can come together for sports training and competition. Throughout the winter months I help individuals from the club learn how or further their skills in both skiing and snowboarding. This opportunity of coaching these athletes not only helps me to become a better leader, but it also gives me the opportunity to learn new things. One of the students in the club with who has an intellectual disability was able to teach me, a longtime skier, how to snowboard. Being able to step back and be taught rather then be the teacher helped me to look at this event as a way to not only help others, but learn something myself. As a hole this experience is one of service learning, where I not only get to give to others, but I acquire a new skill at the same time. These two photos help to capture the friendships between both the skiers and the snowboarders within our club.


No comments:

Post a Comment