Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Life in a Nutshell

This is a photo from one of my volunteer projects where I was a clown!
Wow it has been almost a month since I wrote a blog and it feels like just yesterday I wrote my blog about dancing in Parque Kennedy for the TV show Esto es Guerra. But is has been a month and I guess it just goes to show that time sure does fly when you are having fun! I will definitely go back and highlight some of my adventures in the coming weeks but right now I should be studying for my final presentations and final exams. In the school department I only have this week and next for classes and then the first week of June are my finals so I need to hunker down and focus on classes. That being said I wanted to update you all on just a few things I have been doing. In a way to cut back on the chitter chatter and make sure I get some exciting highlights out I think I will use a bullet point format tonight...here goes nothing:

  • On Mother's Day I got to speak with my parents and older sister on Skype and it was a great to see their faces and hear their voices again!  
  • Also on Mother's Day was my first time going to a church here in Peru and I ended up at Potential Church which has been a true blessing from God! 
  • In the last few weeks I started a second blog that is only focused on food...yes you read that correctly I am writing a blog about FOOD! That is one reason I have been writing on here less often. That being said if you would like to learn some recipes from Peru come take a look at my Culinary Arts Abroad blog!
  • I have gone on a number of volunteer trips with a group of young adults from my church as well as a group of fellow international students and it has been a blast getting to serve in the community here! I would highly suggest that if you ever find yourself abroad that you take some time to volunteer and give back to the community, it is well worth your time!
  • Along with attending Potential Church I have been going to their young adults program called Elevate and I have made many friends that have added many fun times to my experience in Peru!
  • I know I mentioned my food blog but I want to point out that I also found a great market to buy peanuts near my house, where I can buy a whole kilo (2.2 pounds) of peanuts for just over $4. That means I have been making peanut butter and candied peanuts like crazy! While Peruvians aren't accustomed to peanut butter they sure do love the taste! Here is my recipe if you want to try to make it yourself! 
  • Finally a bit about school...Classes are progressing and I much more comfortable with my Spanish skills now! While school is challenging I am learning a lot about the culture through my classes and I am gaining a new perspective and appreciation for education! 
Overall Life is Good and I will make sure to share more stories with you all soon! I have one month left in Peru and I intend to milk it for all it's worth, so be praying for me to keep my focus on school for the next three weeks and then finish off my trip with a fun two weeks of freedom! 

No comments:

Post a Comment